Aromatherapy is a holistic treatment using essential oils. These oils are derived from a wide variety of healing plants. Aromatherapy is used for pain management, improving sleep quality, reducing stress, overcoming symptoms of depression and more. Since we’re talking about transforming worry into inner peace, let’s look at the top scents believed to be effective in reducing anxiety and promoting relaxation.
6 Soothing Aromatherapy Scents:
- Lavender. Lavender is believed to lower the activation of the sympathetic nervous system—that’s the system responsible for the fight, flight or freeze response and physical symptoms of stress like a racing heart and sweaty palms.
- Rose. The scent of rose is said to boost confidence while reducing depression and anxiety.
- Chamomile. Chamomile is known for its soothing and sedative effects.
- Geranium. Geranium relieves stress, and reduces depression and blood pressure.
- Orange. Orange is another soothing scent that is known to relieve anxiety.
- Vanilla. Vanilla is noted for it’s relaxing, sedative, and antidepressant effects.
Here are ways to incorporate aromatherapy into your everyday life:
Two: For the greatest mental, emotional, and spiritual impact, you can:
- Add 5-7 drops of high-quality essential oil to a warm bath. (Special note: It’s best to combine the essential oils with an unscented soap to disperse them into the water; that way the oils don’t sit on the top of the water and potentially sensitize the skin.)
- Massage it directly into your skin. When applying to your skin, some essential oils will need to be combined with a carrier oil, such as almond or coconut oil because on their own the oils are so strong. So you’ll want to make sure you read the instructions.
- You could also carry a sample with you and when you feel stressed inhale the oil directly from the bottle.
- Scent your space with a diffuser.
See for yourself how something as simple as a scent can soothe a worried mind.